Monday, April 12, 2010

the voice

God uses my kids to talk to me. The other day Elijah wanted to take apart our little wooden chair to see if his big volleyball would fit through the back of it! (There's a space between the back and the seat but not one that's big enough for a big ball to fit through...) Our conversation went like this:

E: Help me take these cushions off!!
M: Lijah, it won't fit!
E: Help me take these cushions off!!
M: Lijah! Trust me!
E: Take them off; I want to see!
M: Liajh. Trust me.
E: Show me!
M: Trust me.
E: Show me!
M: Trust...

You get how the rest of the story went. As we went back and forth, I caught the unmistakable "voice" of the Lord... Um, hum. Trust Me. But I wanna see-show me... Trust Me.

So that moment in time was followed by me remembering that I needed to drip Ruth's ear with medicine to clear up her second ear infection:

M: Ruth?! Let me drip your ear.
R: Ah, wah, mooooom! ahhhhh...
M: I'm trying to help you! Lay down.
(are you hearing the "voice" already...)
R: Maaaammmm, I want to play. I don't want to lay down!
M: Ruth. I'm doing this to help you. Lay down, baby.
R: Wahhhhhhh... ~angry eyebrows and pouty lips~

Ruth is always running and hardly ever stopping. Telling her to lay down and "be still" three times a day is torture! But you and I both know why it has to be done. It is for her own good. It will make things better. Um, hum... being still is for your own good.

Give me ears to hear and faith to trust...

(~You can see that Ruth's lost her first two teeth in the past couple weeks!! One on the top and one on the bottom. The other top one is loose and should come out pretty soon, too! Cutie pa-tootie!)

1 comment:

Jenilee said...

oh, the words of our kids and yes, I often hear God speaking through parenting situations. love your post!