Monday, April 12, 2010

checking, waiting, trusting...

So. Checking the adoption fund does not make it fill up any faster. Lesson I learned this week! Heh. I've decided that for all the checking I do... I will stop and pray about it instead of checking on it! Much more productive. And much more energizing. God has good plans.

On the upside, we have some money in our adoption fund now! Whoo! But sooo much more to go. I know God is going to teach us some amazing things as we trust and obey Him. Build our faith, Lord. You are able. Nothing is impossible with you. You say, open wide your mouth and I will fill it... we are open and waiting to see Your work fulfilled.

I've been reading about George Mueller a little bit this week. Interesting guy. You know a little bit about a guy and when you read more, the little bit you knew is even more interesting. If you don't know his story, (watch VeggieTales! :) and let me fill you in a little... he trusted God for everything and built up several orphanages through prayer. People say he never asked anyone for anything but still the money came in just when it was needed. He prayed for everything and trusted that God would answer. Cool. So it inspires us... and makes us think. Well, then. Do we not tell anyone our need and just pray? I love to know God hears and answers prayers. I believe He is as mighty and wonderful now as He's always been. So. Do we keep our plans to ourselves and just pray? Well, I kinda thought, we're the body of Christ. We should talk to each other, too, right? Then today I read an interesting quote from Mueller:

It is not enough to obtain means for the work of God, but that these means should be obtained in God's way. To ask unbelievers for means is not God's way; to press even believers to give, is not God's way; but the duty and the privilege of being allowed to contribute to the work of God should be pointed out, and this should be followed up with earnest prayer, believing prayer, and will result in the desired end.

So he confirmed what I had been thinking... that it should be looked upon as a "privilege to contribute to the work of God." As the body of Christ, we should like giving to the work of God. (So we weren't completely faith-less to share our excitement if it's looked at in that light, right?) And of course, what we all know about Mueller... Pray, baby, pray! Watch and see what God will do!

I've also been reading verses about being still and waiting... put your hope in God... Oh, man. Why is waiting so stinkin' hard? I think I'd rather be told I had to run across the country instead of... wait! I know God's number one thing for our lives is to know Him and that this is one big way that we get to know Him. So I understand. And I want to know Him more! But ugh. Waiting.

Then, to my relief, I read another verse about not being still.

Psalm 83:1
O God, do not keep silent;
be not quiet, O God, be not still.

So I decided that as long as I can pray, Lord, don't be quiet. Don't be still! Be big, mighty, loud, crazy - Act! Then I can deal with my own verses telling me "be still." I can rest a little easier knowing that He is not still. He is working!

We will still check the adoption fund. But we will continue to try to keep our focus on the One who has it all under control!

1 comment:

tg said...

Have you seen this website. The people who have already adopted might help you find a cheaper way

http://www.soar-us.org/stories.html