Friday, September 21, 2007

Bread - hkleb

When we were at our missions training in Springfield, MO last summer, we were encouraged to listen to John 3 in Russian... you can find it online at audioscripture.org... http://www.audioscriptures.org/files/0100/NT/NT.html It's a good example of a conversation! Well, I found it the other day and hit play. Even though I still can't follow a conversation or reading in Russian *sigh* I like to hear the language anyway! So I listen for the few words that I might recognize. After a while of it going on... I thought I heard the word "hkleb" a few times. I thought, I know that... Then it I thought, that's "bread", isn't it?! Heh. Bread. Why would the Bible keep saying "bread". Then I got it! Jesus is the Bread of Life. I looked it up and sure enough, it was on John 6... Jesus is the Bread of Life.

John 6:35
Theen Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.

John 6:48-50
I am the bread of life. Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die.

Interestingly, a few verses before that, Jesus took the boy's bread and multiplied it to feed thousands...

God can take our "bread" and multiply it... We can take His "bread" and live forever!

I love how learning Russian makes the verses I already know, the simple words and truths, and expands on them for me. The Holy Spirit is cool that way. Teaching...

"Hkleb"
"Bread"
~It's in the Bible! :)

No comments: