Sunday, July 25, 2010

At least I have my light saber...

Elijah heard some fireworks and came in a little excited.  We have fireworks almost every day somewhere in Yerevan...  but these he couldn't see;  he could only hear them.  So he was pretty quick to come inside to find me after he heard the loud booms that fireworks make.  I told him I was glad he was close to the house and that he could (and did) come to me when he was nervous.  He smiled and ran back to the door.  Then he over his shoulder he called, "At least I have my light saber!"  "How would that protect you from fireworks, Lijah?"  "I dunno...  I'd throw it at them!?"

Ah, the light saber.  It is the ultimate protection, no?

I kinda chuckled to myself over the wisdom of my five year old as he went back outside feeling a little braver.  He'd talked to me, the noise had ended, and he'd grabbed up his light saber-time to go take on the world again!  Then I thought wouldn't that be nice.  To have a light saber make everything alright and to give you courage to go back out there again.  Then verses about swords popped into my head:

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.  Hebrews 4:12


Ephesians 6:17 - Armor of God...
Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.


Revelations 1:16  (about Jesus)
... out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.


 As Christians, we do have a our own sword, or light sabor, if you will...  It is the very Word of God.  Sharp and powerful.  Awesome enough to speak the earth into existence.  (Gen 1)  To call to Lazarus to "come forth" to life again.  (John 11)  To send the devil on his way!  (Matt. 4)  Pretty powerful stuff.  When we read it, and learn it, and hide it's words in our hearts, and SPEAK it (out of his mouth came a sword...), we are making sure our protection and our courage is always at our side, ready to go!  Perhaps it's even better then a red, plastic light saber that my five year old believes can rescue him from anything?!  

1 comment:

Amber Rose said...

love this :) are you on Facebook? if not, how can i get in touch with you? e-mail? i want to submit your light saber story for a Biblical Insight in our magazine. you could e-mail me @ amber.kinneer@ccci.org -- :)