Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Dad

My Dad. When I think of my Dad, I think of his gentle eyes and strong hands. My Dad is forever patient. We marvel over the fact that we've never heard him yell or be angry. He is Mr. Patient. When my brother and I were growing up, he talked to us and taught us and redirected us. He even spanked us. But he never was angry. It's completely crazy. Who in the world never gets clicking angry at least once in a while? Well, my Dad. I adore him. He's a friend to everyone. He can wait forever. He'll listen to anything anyone tells him. He's interested in what others are doing, even if he knows all about it or nothing about it. He takes me for motorcycle rides, even now that I'm all grown up! He would ride me around the yard on the riding lawn mower as a kid. He never told me to get off his lap. Almost every night he'd cut us an apple or peal us an orange for a snack. He prayed with us every night and ended it with, "and do these things for Jesus sake. Amen." When I was a kid, I believed my Dad could do ANYTHING. My Dad is a good man.

Just before we moved to Yerevan, Armenia, we lived a few blocks away from my Mom and Dad, and my Grandma who we've always called Bestamor. While we were there, Dad had surgery to remove skin cancer on his cheek. It all looks good. Then about a month after we moved here, he found out he had prostate cancer. I was far away... He had surgery and the doctor is optimistic that he got it all and the bones all looked good. This summer, he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease! I am far away... He is taking some medication and is still doing well. I am still far away...

Totally, the hardest thing about being overseas is being away from family. Not that we don't have McDonald's or Taco Bell. Not that the driving is crazy here! Not even that we have to learn a difficult language. Our family and our friends are so far away-that's the hardest. We love our friends here! We love Armenia. We will miss them when we head back to the US. But now... we are so far away...

If you think to, pray for missionaries who miss their families. And for my sweet Dad... I'd like to go sit on his lap! ;)


No comments: