Monday, April 23, 2007

coughing and singing

This past week, I've had such a bad cold. Friday it seemed to be getting better so I figured I'd sing back up while Kevin lead worship at our home church on Sunday. Well, Saturday night my cold got worse. Crazy. We were planning to sing a praise song in Russian after we gave a quick 5 minute update. And we have the next two months away. It would have been easier to say, naw, not today, I'm sick... but this was our chance.

In the inspiration of Brother Andrew, whose book I just finished reading - good book, I decided to sing anyway, putting it all in the Lord's hands. Brother Andrew would bring Bibles behind the Iron Curtain where they were forbidden. When he would cross the border, he would set some Bibles on his front seat so that he would get through because it was in God's hands and not because of his cleverness. Then time after time he would drive right on through and get his Bibles delivered!

Now, singing a special number in church is maybe not the same as bringing Bibles to those who need them... but it was still a step of faith! All in God's hands. All in His control. I'm learning, even if it's baby steps!

By the way, my singing may not have been perfect but we did get the job done fairly successfully... and now on Monday, I've been coughing like crazy and can barely talk! So that morning was my chance... coincidence? God IS in control.

(The book I read about Brother Andrew is called The Narrow Way and was written along with Jars of Clay... His organization is called Open Doors if you want to google it! Good stuff.)

No comments: