Sunday, March 25, 2007

lavish

Today we made fruit pizza to surprise Kevin... shhhh... he's still not home yet from itinerating this weekend. It's a good surprise since it's his favorite. Well, when I made it, I couldn't find the recipe but I've made it enough that I could wing it. It's not that hard, really. In the end, I decided to look up the recipe for the cream cheese frosting in a book my good friend, Emily, gave me when we got married. (At the bottom of that page she wrote *Em's favorite!) As it turns out, that recipe was probably bigger than the one I usually use. So we ended up with LOTS of frosting.


As I plopped it on the sugar dough crust (or sugar do, as Hannie called it), I thought back to the book I'm reading with another good friend of mine, Lisa! The book is She's Gonna Blow by Julie Ann Barnhill. In this book, she just talked about the frosting her grandma would make. When she would plop it on the cake, the cake would shake from the weight of the frosting. She said her grandma would LAVISH the cake with frosting.


God says he lavishes two things on us. Love and Grace. I've always thought that was cool. Of all the things he chooses to lavish on is it's His love and His grace.


So I did as Julie Ann Barnhill suggested and called the kids back over for an object lesson with frosting. Just as we're lavishing this crust with frosting, that's how God lavishes His love and grace on us. (Ruth and Elijah got into a disagreement over something in the middle of the lesson but I think the kids still caught it!)


When we were done admiring the frosting, of course, they got out spoons and ended up using fingers and whole hands to clean out the mixing bowl!


Lavish love and grace. Accept it and do it!



No comments: