Thursday, September 28, 2006

what kids say

The other day when we were talking about outgrowing clothes, Hannie asked me, "What's a Hannie down?"

Then today we went down by the Red River to admire the fall colors and Hannie was standing by the gate on the dike shaking our hands and announcing to Ruth and Eli and I that this was the Red River and welcome and - it's even FREE! :)

Ruth doesn't care much for loud noises and usually gets spooked during a thunderstorm. After I had been down to her room several times to comfort her, I told her how some people imagine it's just angels bowling up in heaven... She looked up at me with creases between her eyebrows and said, "MY angels DON'T Bowl!"

Today when I told Ruth it was time to take a nap... way PAST time... and she had to go to the bathroom and then lay down, she wasn't too happy about it. She mumbled something and stomped down the hall. Just when she was out of view she said very loudly, "I - Said - STINKIN'!" Then added, "Heh." with great satisfaction.

Elijah is learning words and saying more. He's starting to string them together, too. Last night we went to Uncle Blake's to see Emmitt, our puppy! "Puppy, puppy, puppy..." And Eli said, "That? Puppy, Bed? Puppy out..." He's growing up so fast. Like they all do, I suppose! Then he tried to give Emmitt open mouth kisses during our whole stay as he poked, "Nose. Ear, Eye, Mouth..." Poor Emmitt loves Elijah but doesn't know quite what to do with him.

I love it when Hannie means to say, "I'm not..." and instead she says, "I Emmint..." :) Or would it be spelled "amn't"? Heh.

Benjamin was reading me his snake book for his 10 minutes of reading out loud for his homework and I was telling him, ick, ooh, yuck while looking at all these poisnious, huge snakes. He was laughing so hard there were tears in his eyes when he said, "Mom, be relieved. The snakes at the end aren't poisnious!" Heh... Be relieved.

No comments: